Veterinarians warn: Cats and lilies don’t mix
Veterinarians are reporting seeing increasing numbers of
cats suffering from poisoning after eating portions of lilies
out of flower arrangements.
Dr Matthew Retchford, President of the Australian Small
Animal Veterinary Association (ASAVA), a special interest
group of the Australian Veterinary Association, said that
cats can die after eating small portions of lilies.
“Lilies seem to becoming more popular in flower
arrangements and veterinarians are reporting seeing more
cases of poisonings,” said Dr Retchford. “All parts of the
lily are poisonous to cats – flowers, stamen, stem, leaves
and roots, but for some reason, dogs and other pets are
not so badly affected.
“The first signs of toxicity, which is usually within the first
few hours, include vomiting, depression and loss of
appetite. Acute renal failure may set in within one to three
days,” he said.
“We would encourage people to keep flower arrangements
away from cats, but the key to successful treatment is early
Types of lilies that are very toxic to cats include the tiger
lily, easter lily, rubrum lily, day lily, glory lily, stargazer lily,
japanese show lily, asian lilies.
AVA 5th June 2007
Animal News & Articles
24 Hour Open Pet Store
Online Query Services
Veterinary Search Centre